Institute for Advanced Professional Studies
Edward C. Bursk
Vice President (1978 to 1984)
Prof. Edward C. Bursk coordinated (with Dr. William H. Gruber) IAPS's first publicly-offered course, a 2-day executive workshop on the Marketing and Development of New Products. The workshop was conducted at the Harvard Faculty Club in May, 1977. Prof. Bursk was the Honorary Editor of the Harvard Business Review and an emeritus professor of marketing at the Harvard Business School.
As Vice President of IAPS, he worked with IAPS founder, Dr. Donald French on a variety of consulting assignments including the preliminary design of a Product Marketing curriculum for Western Electric Company and articles on Continuing Education, Professional Career Development and Management Training in newsletters he published. He made special arrangements for IAPS's first office, ideal space shared with the editorial staff of the American Marketing Association's Journal of Marketing.
Prof. Bursk had a distinguished career and was well known as an author, teacher, consultant and speaker on management and marketing. He joined the faculty of the Harvard Business School in 1942 as an instructor. He was promoted to assistant professor (1943) and associate professor (1946) and became full professor in 1954. In 1978, he became an emeritus professor and retired in 1989.
In 1943, Prof. Bursk joined the Harvard Business Review as Managing Editor. In 1946, he was promoted to Editor, a position he retained until 1971. During his tenure as Editor, circulation increased from 2,000 to 150,000.
Prof. Bursk was a member of the Council of Economic Advisers in President John F. Kennedy's Administration. In 1958 he founded the International Marketing Institute of Boston, which trained foreign business executives, and became its educational director.
His first teaching position was at Dartmouth College (1931-1933), but the Depression caused him to return to his home town of Lancaster, PA to take over as President and General Manager of J. H. Bursk & Company, a family firm which distributed sugar. He returned to teaching in 1941 at Franklin & Marshall College before accepting a teaching appointment at Harvard Business School.
AB, Amherst College
© Copyright 1984-2015 Institute for Advanced Professional Studies (IAPS)